What do you think Linux operating system is?
- It is a operating system just like Window,Mac .’
- Linux is a generic term referring to Unix-like graphical user interface (GUI) based computer operating systems
- It is Multi-user, Multitasking, Multiprocessor.
- Coexists with other Operating Systems
- Runs on multiple platforms.
Advantages of Linux Operating System.
- Multi-user: A multi-user operating system allows for multiple users to use the same computer at the same time and/or different times.
- Multiprocessing: An operating system capable of supporting and utilizing more than one computer processor.
- Multitasking: An operating system that is capable of allowing multiple software processes to run at the same time.
- Multithreading: Operating systems that allow different parts of a software program to run concurrently.
LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE
Linux operating System Architecture is consists of following layers:
Hardware layer – Hardware consists of all peripheral devices such as (RAM/ HDD/ CPU etc).
Kernel – kernel is the Core component of Linux Operating System, it interacts directly with hardware, and provides low level services to upper layer components.
1.K desktop Enviornment i.e desktop environment for LINUX OS.
2.KDE acts as GUI for LINUX OS.
3.Provides Graphical Interface.
4.Makes it easy to work as it use windows interface.
5.User friendly desktop environment provided by Red hat).
GNOME(GNU network Object Model Environment) is a part of the GNU project and part of the free software, or open source
GNOME is a Windows-like desktop system that works on UNIX and UNIX-like systems and is not dependent on any one window manager.
Includes a set of applications and desktop tools.
PRINCIPLES OF LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM
- Every thing is a file (including Hardware):-
The security model of linux operating system is made around the security of files.
Hardware in linux operating system could be accessed same as the access to document.
- Configuration data stored in text:
All the data including the configuration data is stored in text also it allows an administration to move a configuration from one machine to another.
- Small, Single Purpose programs
- Ability to chain program to perform complex tasks.